Saturday, October 01, 2005

Daily Bread

The western world is getting dreadfully fat and unhealthy. As I get older I am suddenly concerned about my health - I never really gave a crap in the past. At the moment I am feeling very mortal.
Part of it has to do with the fact that for the second winter running I have chronic bronchitis and don't seem to be able to kick it easily. I have had some health problems in the past, but these have all been fixed by removing non-essential organs (tonsils, adenoids, appendix and gall bladder - I'll also throw wisdom teeth into that melee). However, I've not ever had respiratory problems until I moved to the wet cold climes of Victoria.
I'm a little concerned that I have developed asthma. My grandmother was a chronic athmatic. My friend Robert developed asthma when he moved from the NT to Victoria because of an allergy to rye grass. The midget has also had a consistent dry cough all winter, but the doctor says her chest is clear, no asthma there.
Anyways I'll be off to visit my favourite doctor on Sunday, probably to get a script of antibiotics. As long as it works...
Now back to the fat thing. I've been overweight most of my life. I was rewarded with food when I was young, and then ate to combat loneliness and anxiety as I grew older.
I dont want to be fat and unfit and unhealthy any more.
The lovely Vashti says it best in her post about daily bread. Why do we eat and take more than we need?
I'm all with Dr Fiona Wood on this one.
I'll tell you how I go. I'll try not to reduce you to tears with tedium, or dull statistics. But I will try to be honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home