Monday, March 27, 2006

My Life is as Good as an ABBA song

- Direct quote from Muriel's Wedding. I also wrote this in C's recent birthday card, which had a particularly sexy snap of ABBA on the front.
When I was about 8 years old, I absolutely adored ABBA. "Money Money" was the first "grown-up" single I ever had, a much treasured present from my mum. My best friend at the time (and still a dear friend now), Galia and I played long and involved ABBA games. I always let her be Agnetha, the pretty blonde one. I steadfastly stood by Frida, who I insisted had a better voice anyway. We knew all the songs. We madly sang them all into our hairbrushes and worked out complex dance routines.

I had an ABBA t-shirt, that I wore constantly.I once fell off my bike into a huge puddle while I was wearing my Abba t-shirt and cried buckets. I didn't want that shirt to stain!
My poor parents were subjected to days and days of ABBA "Arrival" when we were driving down the east coast of Australia on our Christmas holidays in 1976.
I listen to a particularly daggy radio show every weekday morning, Breakfast with Laurie & Paula. I love it. It helps me start the day. A couple of forty-somethings that have a certain understated comedic chemistry on radio together. Every Monday there is a segment called "Paula's Pick". Paula chooses some derelict sad old song from the 70s, and callers vote as to whether they want to hear it or not. About four weeks ago, it was ABBA's "When I Kissed the Teacher". I hadn't heard the song in probably 18 years. And it has been contained inside my head now for four weeks straight.
Oh! The joy of that song! The absolute perfection of that boppy little tune! The absloute musical genius of the bit that goes;
"One of these days, gunna tell him I dream of him every night", and then lower, "One of these days, gunna show him I care gunna teach him a lesson alright". OOOOH the bliss. I cant explain how good it makes me feel! Am I psychotic? Probably. That song makes me deliriously happy.
Send help now.

2 Comments:

Blogger cadiz12 said...

you are not alone in your love for ABBA. and frida did have a better voice.

10:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They BOTH had amazing voices. And the guys, wow, could they ever write. ABBA forever! says this 41 yr old Canadian male

3:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home