Sunday, March 20, 2005

The Swimming Pool

We had a family outing to our local swimming pool this afternoon. It's a nice little pool, heated, indoors(no sunblock - hooray - god I hate sunblock), and shallow so that we dont have to watch the five year old like a hawk. We have a favourite thing we like to do at the pool. It involves being swooshed through the water flotaing on your back. It is the most relaxing surreal experience (as long as you can block out the incessant squeals of little girls playing chasey). We go all the way to the pool just to do this. It's one of our bizarre mating rituals.
On the way to the pool C & I were talking about the psychology behind the "Baby on Board" signs that people put on their cars. I'm wondering if the real people that you have to worry about on the roads (like drunks and hoons) take any notice of these signs. It affects me, I'm a mother, but I dont exactly drive recklessly anyway. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Is a little baby's life more valuable than a child, adult or senior? Babies are probably more protected in baby capsules than any other family member in the car.
OK enough of the deep psychological crap. Onto dentistry.
I had four wisdom teeth out in one go last August. It was a completely crap experience. I've heard of other people having even crapper experiences like being able to feel the pain when the roots snap and stuff like that. I was knocked out for half an hour in a day surgery, but woke up in the middle of the operation. Not good. Almost brown underpants time.
Every time I drive past that surgery I get a shiver. The surgeon was a very sweet Chinese guy who must be absolutely worth a mint, a good catch for anyone who is looking. However, when I went to my follow-up consultation he didn't remember that I woke up in the middle of the "experience". Then he explained to me that he takes out 40 sets of wisdom teeth a week (40 x $950 = $38000 (!!))which equates to 2080 victims per annum. Hopefully a large percentage of them do not wake up during the ordeal.
We drove past the surgery on the way to the pool and C felt it wise to tell me something. Something he had heard on the Comedy Channel when he was in America recently. The segment was about people's greatest fears. One guy told of combining his two greatest fears. About parachuting, and the chute failing to open. And then falling head first with his mouth wide open into a water bubbler. Just thinking of this makes my whole jaw ache and I get quite nauseous. C has quite the sense of comic timing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home