Friday, February 04, 2005

Blast Off!

I am a 37 year old Australian woman who has been absolutely gobsmacked by a blog that I have just read - Riverbend - you are amazingly eloquent, forthright and unafraid of the world. Everything that I would aspire to be.
I have had a bad day. It started off unassumingly enough, but it has ended with me doing a deal with the devil. This is not such a bad deal, and it is forcing me to do something that I have wanted to do for a long time - and that is write. As the devil told me, I make every excuse in the book not to actually start to write. The house is too messy, I have a million other things to do etc. All these things are true. But mostly I'm just scared. Scared of failure and criticism. I think I actually have a phobia of criticism.
I work as an unqualified accountant in a fairly unsatisfying job. It is easy enough, the money is good, but it really just passes the day away and puts food on the table. As the devil said to me, I dont have a passion for anything. I have been caught up in a rotten suburban lifestyle and I do crave for more. So if anyone out there is crazy enough to read this, and empathises in any way - hey - let me know.
The year before last I had a mid-life crisis. I left my husband, moved states, and took up with the 21-year-old devil that I have previously mentioned. This devil is no ordinary devil. He is blessed and tainted equally. He is of the mad scientist genre. Completely brilliant, driven, emotionally unstable. You know the type. When he is not telling me how much he loves me with a mad passionate lusty look in his eye, he is telling me how much he hates me and wishes he never met me.
I wear the burden of being a "Scarlet Woman" without ease and accompanied by much guilt. After all, I am a very lapsed Catholic.
By the way, my name is not Edna. I thought that it was a very unassuming name that would not attract attention. My blog name really says it all. Suburban mediocrity. (Please, no offence to anyone named Edna or any accountants intended).
Why have I decided to write a blog? Is it an ego thing? Probably. Do I think I'm talented and funny? Probably. It's a start. And I dont want the devil on my tail.
Much much more later......

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate's Dad said...

I love this blog... I'll be checking back often...

2:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home