Sunday, March 13, 2005

Yahoo Games

Thought I'd do a bit of bloggin' tonight. Haven't blogged for a while now. Been too bloggin busy.
C is away tonight, he's staying with friends in the big city - he needs a break from me - lol. So I thought I'd be naughty and play some computer games. I don't mind a bit of Yahoo Euchre or Canasta. C hates me playing them. He thinks they're a waste of time, which they are, but they are also a welcome escape. I live in a household that does not have television remember! So when he's away, the little mouse plays. Squeak.
So I'm merrily playing my first game of Euchre, in a "Social Lounge". Thats the place where people are supposed to be friendly and they aren't playing for sheep stations. Things are going well for my partner and I. We lead 8 - 1. Then I get a brilliant hand, a real loner, so I go alone. Now all these technical details may be boring for someone who knows little of this game. However if you win on a lone hand you get 4 (or 5?) points and the first to 10 points in Euchre is the winner. Anyway, it was a bit of an overcall but I just love the opportunity to go alone. One of my opponents says to me "there is no need to go alone when you are on 8 Points" and I said "ah well" "its just for the drama of it". So this opponent then sends me an individual message and calls me a four letter word starting with c.
Some people in this world are so pleasant and such good sports aren't they?? Gee whiz I was glad I was in the "social lounge", not the "madman with a gun lounge". Needless to say I hopped out of Yahoo games and came to the safety of the blogging lounge. So far I haven't had any negative comments or been called any four letter words. There is always time I guess.
Yahoo Games are an interesting social phenomenon. I used to like a good card night in the distant past. It involved friends coming over, getting horribly drunk, a few accusations of cheating, some heated arguments, and the aforementioned friends crashing in your loungeroom because they are too drunk to drive.
Lets look at the positives and negatives of Yahoo gaming.
1)
Positive
It doesn't take any time at all to do the shuffling
Negative
There is never any time to get another drink or have a wee break without making the people you are playing with and against irritable.
2)
Positive
You get to play with people from all walks of life, from all over the world and sometimes they can be nice and friendly
Negative
Weirdos from all walks of life and from all over the world can abuse you via personal messaging and stalk you over the internet. You have no recall to punch them in the nose or yell "get the hell out of my house"
3)
Positive
Sometimes you chance upon a really talented player as a partner and this makes you look good
Negative
When this talented partner realizes that all they are doing is making you look good, they leave your table at the end of the game

OK now I'm going to list some things that I can only think of as negative

1) When you are addicted to Yahoo gaming you become a social hermit and do not leave the house and do not talk to people face to face. (This however is inherent in a lot of computer-based applications).
2) Yahoo is notoriously buggy and you can freeze or drop out just when you have the crunch hand
3) Yahoo players are not at all understanding when you race away from the computer because you hear your child vomiting in their bed. They generally boot you out of the game. Heartless sods.

OK that about covers it.

On another note I'm going to put in a link to a very funny website. I know the guy who writes this site. He does not know that I read his site. Before he recently went to Korea to become an English teacher, he lived in the same suburb as me. We were both members of a radical gang (Irish set dancing) and he always seemed to be a very quiet unassuming fellow. Little did I know he has such a wicked wit and entertaining website! It's always the quiet ones you have to watch. He is one very funny bathplug.
www.sunnybreaks.org
Have a gander.
Thanks to my readers (all three of you).
I am tremendously encouraged by humorous comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home