Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Now We're Getting Somewhere


Now We're Getting Somewhere (Neil Finn)

LYRICS

It never used to be that bad
But neither was it great
Somewhere in the middle than
Content and much too safe
Ooh tell me please
Why it takes so long
To realize when there's something wrong

Lay me out with your heart
Now we're gettin' somewhere
Push me back to the start
Now we're gettin' somewhere
Take me out let me breathe
Now we're gettin' somewhere
When I'm with you I don't care
Where it is I'm falling

There's money in the Bible Belt
Hugs for daddy too
Three wishes for eternity
We've got some work to do
Oh tell me please, tell me what went wrong
Cos I believe there is something wrong

When you took me to your room
I swear I said surrender
When you opened up your mouth
I saw the words fall out
Though nothing much has changed
I swear I will surrender
There is pain in my heart
We can choose what we choose to believe


In order to alleviate my writer's block, I shall endeavour to post something about the song that wakes me up on my alarm clock each morning - if I can remember it!

I have always loved Crowded House, and originally loved Split Enz & Neil Finn as a soloist. As a matter of fact my current Facebook status is Showing "Ednabeancounter is singing Four Seasons in One Day" due the wildly bizarre weather we have been having here over the last few days.

I never saw Crowded House live, sadly. I did however see Split Enz live at the amphitheatre in Darwin in either 1982 or 1983. They were insanely good! I remember nearly having an embolism during "I see Red". I don't think I have ever enjoyed myself so much at a concert! They were supported by a local band of hunkies, and they did a version of Batman! that was super cool - well to a 14 year old any way!

I was extremely saddened to hear of Paul Hester's suicide, but I have posted about that on a previous blog entry.

It is so incredibly funny that my first attempt to write regular blog posts is based on a song choice. I had a similar writer's block back in the early 80s when I was a prolific (and reasonably talented) fiction writer. I decided to write a story about the lyrics on each of number of SPLIT ENZ songs that I had on a cassette! The co-incidence is quite bizarre!

As for these lyrics - some of them could absolutely sum up my current relationship! It has most recently made a huge turn for the better - due to the opening of a number of channels of communication - like words falling out of my mouth!

The second verse doesn't really make sense to me, but Crowded House do have an obsession with American culture, so therein would probably lie the answer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marcus said...

Nice to hear from you Edna.
How did you come to be in the Bob Davis room I'm wondering?
Hope we give the Bulldogs the same sort of hiding this Friday night!
Go cats!

PS I see you're still not blogging much. I'm going to put your link on my blog so I'll know when you've posted.

Take care

Marcus

5:43 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey...Just googled the Darwin Amphitheatre gig, and found that you were there, I was the drummer in The Alternatives that played that night with Split Enz....a great gig.

7:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home