Monday, February 11, 2008

Vale, dear Jenny

Jenny died this morning, in her own bed, surrounded by her family.
She put up such a brave, noble fight against an insidious disease. It broke her body, but it did not break her fine, serene spirit.
I can't say I knew her that well. I shared a workplace with her one day a month, a cup of tea and a lovely, warm, laughter-filled chat. She was the kind of woman you would want as your own mother. She was not an old woman.
I watched her be as optimistic as any human possibly could, get better, and then get far far worse. I watched her survive for her daughter's wedding.
I loved talking to her, I loved morning tea so much at that office.
I am overly upset by this - I should definitely feel sad, but I just can't stop crying.
Today the world is a worse place, and I a more wretched human being.
Jesus is holding you in his arms Jenny, and there is no more pain. Fare thee well, gentle soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home