Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tomorrow We Say Sorry



Tomorrow, the Australian Government will issue a formal apology to the Aboriginal population of Australia for our abhorrent behaviour from 1910-1970 in relation to the stolen generations.

Finally, I am proud to be an Australian again. Finally, an elected government in Australia has the guts to own up to the racist attitudes that existed (and sadly still do exist) in our parents' and grandparents' generations.

Kevin Rudd, I am so glad I voted for you. How refreshing to see politicians follow up on their promises. First Kyoto, and now Sorry. Great work mate.

I don't think the sorry goes far enough. I truly believe that compensation is applicable on a case-by-case basis. Stealing children is barbaric. What the hell were we thinking?

I am hugely annoyed by the standard redneck response that is being bandied about. "Why should I be sorry? I didn't do anything!". Oh for God's sake. The emotional immaturity of that response is astounding.

I wish I could be at Parliament House tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Random chains of events are random. and it was a randam chain of events that lead me to your blog.

your blog says that you are a passionate ozzie, but your interests are very new zealand orientated

8:02 pm  
Blogger Marcus said...

Hi Edna
You left a comment on my football blog so I came to see who you were, and I'm impressed, I really like your blog, you write really well, funny, entertaining, interesting. But, you haven't written anything since February! Come on Edna, get back to blogging, you have talent.

By the way, the national Apology was one of the best days of my life as an Australian, I felt so proud of Kevin Rudd and the nation for finally doing something good and right and noble.

Remember that Kevin Costner film about building a baseball field?

Well, to borrow from the movie, If you write it, I will come (and read it)

Cheers
Marcus

PS. My footy blog is only a sideline, my real blog ie. the one I write on every day is Holt Press.

2:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home