Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Salome?


Ha Ha Salome your secret is out. My friend, the person formerly known as K has decided upon Salome for her blog alias.I have been doing some intense research and have come up with some conclusions based on the following text.

"Salome - (1) The daughter of Herod Philip and Herodias (Matthew 14:6-8: Mark 6:22; cf. Josephus, "Antiq. Jud.", XVIII, v, 4), at whose request John the Baptist was beheaded."

Or more recently;

"Wilde's play became the source and inspiration for Richard Strauss's one-act opera also named Salomé, first produced in 1905. Herod's lust for Salome is emphasized, which Salome uses to gain her wishes by performing the famous "Dance of the Seven Veils." Salome, in turn, desires to have John the Baptist -- a new interpretation of the original myth. In the end, the only way Salome may have any part of John, quite literally, meant that she must demand his head be given to her. Salome fulfills her passion by kissing the dead lips of John's decapitated head, who had previously rejected her. This new and more familiar version of Salome depicts her as a seductress of her stepfather and a murderer of a saint, thereby becoming a symbol of the erotic and dangerous woman, the femme fatale."

Conclusion 1) I really really believe that my Salome has no inklings to be seduced, or seduce her step-father.

Conclusion 2) I have never seen my Salome do the Dance of the Seven Veils. I have, however, seen her do the dance of the seven caftans. Tis a very beguiling dance in its own special way.

Conclusion 3) Using the more traditional research, I believe the words "John the Baptist" should be substituted by the words "John the Belgian".


I eagerly await an explanation

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home