Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Pleeeeease be careful Skippy

"Hullo. Frank Walker from National Tiles here."
When you read the words on paper (or on screen as it were) they look fairly innocuous. However these words are from the most cringeworthy radio ad I have ever heard. Possibly only people from Victoria will know this guy. I swear I wake up to this almost every morning. It's the way he says it. I might try and get a sound file and attach it to this blog so I can share this with the rest of the world. It's a surefire way to make you get off your bed and turn the alarm off, and really quite an unpleasant way to start the day.
To my beloved friend and avid blog reader, the woman formerly known as Hildegarde. I had a brainwave as to your blog alias. You will have to explain the ThoThemis reference - I dont have a clue, except that when you say it there's a really neat spit-spraying effect.
From this day forth you will be known as Serge. Her Dad calls her Serge, and also something to do with sausages, I forget but I know it is amusing. Her dad is also prone to gobbling like a turkey REALLY LOUDLY in confined spaces (like the front cabin of a very small ute with all the windows wound up). When explaining why he called her Serge, he said that he felt a surge of love whenever he was with her. How great is that!
Serge and another wonderful friend K(who I'm going to have think very hard about an alias for) are going to start a blog. Now this will be a cack. I can hardly wait. I'll be linking gals.
Well I might mention a few things about my weekend. On Saturday I went to the horse races in Caulfield in Melbourne. C did not want to come because he was being a stinky bum. I took the Intern and the Midget and had a fairly decent time with the folks from work. I am very pleased to note that the Midget has quite a knack for picking winners on the track. I'm cutting her a percentage of the prize money (mostly in Chupa Chups) but as her agent (and chauffeur)I get to keep most of it.
She picked a horse with the name "Smart Arch" which is quite a funny play on words and repeated it loudly to everyone who would listen. However "Smart Arch" is still running and we didn't score with that one. Perhaps they should change his name to CrackerUpHis Arch and he may do better. Rule Britannia! (By the way, my father, whose name is Arch, taught me that song at a very tender age).
My lovely boss is so Catholic that he would not bet on a horse named "Evil Agent" even though it was trained by his favourite trainer and highly respected. He instead went with an old nag named "Joseph" which is also still running.
On an interesting and different pious note, I have never seen more Jewish people in my life as I did walking down Glen Eira Road in Caulfield that day, some in Hasidic dress. I dont think I ever
saw a Jewish person in Darwin. So it was a very interesting sight for me.
On Sunday I took the Midget to see the latest Herbie movie. Oh yuk. What happened to Herbie??????!!!! Wail.....Those movies used to be fun.
At one stage the Midget was in tears because Herbie was going to get mashed by a monster truck in a demolition derby. I thought I was going to have to take her home. I had flashbacks to the very first TV show I ever watched - picture this - 1972 - brand new TV - Skippy alone in the city - bouncing through the traffic - Edna completely traumatised - Edna banned from watching TV for quite some time. I actually remember this very clearly.
Back to Herbie. The most prominent part of the movie, I thought, was Lindsay Lohan's breasts. I have never seen a movie aimed more at teenage boys in my life. Fast cars, big boobs and tiny skirts. Even Lindsay's racing outfit was unzipped provocatively. You know, just to there, as it would be. You see, girls are protected from fire ravaging their breasts in a car crash by it's ingenious design.
Matt Dillon played the bad guy, and luckily for him, he is ageing gracefully. However I still cannot forgive him for acting in a movie called "Rebel", which is the only movie that I have ever walked out on in my entire life.
A note came home in the Midget's bag from school today - "Your child has made it to the final audition for the Australian Youth Choir". I was ecstatic, excited, thrilled in a way only the truest of stage mothers know. Cross-examination of the midget revealed that every one in her class received the same note. :<( .Not so exciting. I'll let you know the outcome of that one. Audition Day is August 13th. I now suspect it is some kind of marketing sham.
Shortlist of blog alias for aforementioned friend K
1) Sunflower
2) Fish'n Chips
3) "He's dead, he died"
4) Caftan-a-rama
Other suggestions welcomed Serge & K.
That's all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home